Monday, March 02, 2009

Planet of the Birds

Project 365 - March 2

One of the things this project is making me aware of is how much I would like to have a nice camera. The camera I've been using for several years, a Canon PowerShot SD600, has done exactly what we bought it for: it powers up fast initially as well as in between shots, so your child isn't off doing something else by the time the camera is ready. The small size is a huge plus, as it is small enough to carry around in my purse, enabling me to get lots of spontaneous shots I would have missed otherwise.

However, there are two things I've been struggling with unsuccessfully:

1. The zoom. I never use the digital zoom, as most objects are unrecognizable with it, but I find even the 3x optical zoom to be grainy. As ridiculous as it sounds, I often resort to using binoculars along with the camera, which is awkward as the binoculars are large and heavy and it's hard to keep everything steady while I snap, but blurry seems preferable to grainy. The circular effect is kind of interesting, at least.

2. Indoor lighting. If I use the flash, it overexposes the foreground and leaves everything else dark. If I disable the flash, it's grainy.

My research seems to indicate that these are common problems with point and shoot cameras, but if you think it's all user error, please tell me what I'm doing wrong. Comment here, or write it on the back of a $20 bill and send it to my snail mail address. :D

No comments: