Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The Road Less Traveled

Project 365 - December 22

Jed and I ran our last pre-
Christmas errands this morning, one of which took us down a road we had never traveled before.

I love old cemeteries. There are so many tucked away on back roads in this state, and I love looking at them as we drive by. This one caught my eye because of the little dollops of snow each of the little square headstones were sporting.

To Mainers this photo may not look like anything special, but I think it epitomizes the soul of our adopted state. The split logs stacked up awaiting their turn at keeping the home fires burning are a thing of beauty in and of themselves, but they also speak to the sense of being prepared which is so prevalent here, which I also think is beautiful.

After meandering a bit taking in the scenery, we headed to downtown Winthrop, which is a thriving metropolis by comparison.

However, as you can see, it's not big enough to take itself too seriously. :)

3 comments:

Newton said...

is that the Winthrop Cemetery down Morton Street?

Grace to You said...

No, it's the Glenside Cemetery on Wilson Pond Road. Do you know it?

Newton said...

I don't know if I do. I probably would recognize it if I was taken there. I love Cemeteries, I know it's morbid, but oh well.