Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Family Treasures

Project 365 - October 8

One of the highlights of the wedding week was the bridal luncheon. It was so fun to meet Jennifer's friends and spend the afternoon with this group of vibrant young women.

I vaguely remember being that way myself once upon a time. :)

Since I hadn't been able to attend any of the bridal showers, I took this opportunity to give Jenn a couple of personal gifts.

One was a little family heirloom..."heirloom" being loosely applied here. It probably has no monetary value at all, but it does have a sweet and funny story.

When I was growing up, my great-aunt had a little ceramic doghouse and two dogs sitting on top of her console television set. It was a real treat to be allowed to play with them once in a while, and when she passed away many years ago, I asked for the set to remember her by.

What I didn't know until it was given to me was that Auntie and Uncle Austin each claimed one of the ceramic dogs, and would put each other's dog in the doghouse when they were miffed at the other person. As I was cleaning them, I was amused to discover a mended crack all the way around the larger dog...apparently Auntie was a little more than miffed on at least one occasion. :)

It was fun to be able to pass along this little family treasure to Brad and Jenn with wishes that the dogs will see daylight much more often than they'll be subjected to the interior of the doghouse. hehe

One of the other gifts was a family cookbook, full of Brad's favorite recipes growing up. I loved making this! And interestingly, I was able to use leather from a bomber jacket of Uncle Austin's to bind the book.

I think Auntie would be pleased.




No comments: