Sunday, January 17, 2010

What's on My Nightstand

Project 365 - January 17

Since seeing Michael Card in concert last month, I've learned quite a bit about him that I never knew.

He has released many more albums than I thought (20+), and has authored/co-authored 14 books, none of which I knew about. Considering how significant the lyrics are in the few albums I've heard, I am eager to read his books.

The first one to catch my eye was The Hidden Face of God. In it, Michael proposes the "recovery of the profound, biblical practice of lament." I have a really hard time with this because I don't know where the line is between lamenting and complaining, and that's not a line I want to cross, not when God has lavished so much kindness and grace on me.

However, there are hurts that burden me, and I've been noticing verses like this lately in my reading:

  • Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge. Psalm 62:8
  • I pour out my complaint before him; before him I tell my trouble. Psalm 142:2
  • Pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord. Lamentations 2:19

After walking with the Lord 24 years, I still have much to learn. However, I do know the most important thing: Jesus loves me, this I know; for the Bible tells me so.

No comments: