Monday, January 11, 2010

A New Beginning

Project 365 - January 11

Last month I planned out a major overhaul of our home-
schooling agenda and we started implement-
ing it today.

Change #1: Instead of doing the household chores by myself while Jed entertains himself, he will now be helping me. I expect this to be a slow teaching process, but it will be good for him, and he was actually quite excited about dusting today. I expect that to last for approximately two more weeks. :)

Change #2: We started using a new curriculum called Five in a Row, which has lessons in the subjects of social studies, language arts, math, science and art, all based on classic children's literature. You read the same children's book each day for a week and study one subject each day, with several lessons in each subject to choose from. We started today with the book The Story About Ping, and our subject was social studies, so we located China on the globe and map, talked about how far away from Maine it is, how many people live there, how long the Yangtze River is (almost 4,000 miles!), and a little about their culture. I think I'm going to like this curriculum.

Change #3: We started a PE program as well. Today's exercise consisted of shoveling snow. I would elaborate on that, but I'm too tired. :D

2 comments:

Newton said...

Good for you Sandi! Keep it up!
P.S. if you get two weeks out of Jed consider yourself blessed.

Grace to You said...

I plan to get way more than two weeks of work out of Jed...it's just the excitement that I figure will peter out that soon. :)