Monday, February 17, 2020

February 17, 2020

Jed has three classmates in his weekly homeschool class.
I am the self-appointed homeroom mother, 
which basically consists of baking birthday cakes for everyone.
I asked all the moms what their kids' favorite cakes were,
and was surprised at the variety.
One of the young ladies favors lemon pound cake.
I'm not sure if I've ever baked a pound cake before, of any flavor,
and I was a little intimidated.
I tried a recipe I found online and it was terrible.
So I tried another recipe I found online, this time from Bon Appetit,
which I thought might be more trustworthy.
The recipe is time-consuming and I didn't have time to bake two cakes before the birthday celebration,
so I sent the cake to class completely untested.
This was back before Christmas, and I've been meaning to bake another cake for weeks now,
so I can see for myself what it's like.
I finally had the opportunity, and the lemons, a few days ago.
The jury is still out on the results.
It was baked in a loaf pan, which I liked, and it's very lemony, which I like.
The drawbacks are that it's very tart is some parts, and hardly lemony at all in other parts,
and the tart parts are very moist (almost soggy) while the hardly-lemony parts are a little dry. 
You poke holes in the cake when it comes out of the oven and pour straight lemon juice in them,
then after the cake cools, 
you top it with a lemon glaze made with more straight lemon juice and powdered sugar.
None of that could reach the bottom of the cake, which was the dry part.
Maybe next time I'll make two (or three) batches of the glaze and swap one out for the straight lemon juice, 
or maybe I'll add some of it in to the cake itself,
to make it a little more moist overall.
Do any of you have better ideas?
I'd love to hear them!
 

No comments: