Friday, August 21, 2009

Walking the Walk

Project 365 - August 21

We usually visit Miss Rita on Fridays, but although Jed's fever was better today, he has cold symptoms and we didn't want to expose her to his germs.

I asked her sister if there was anything we could do for them that wouldn't involve contact with Jed, and she said Rita had been craving mango lately and she hadn't been able to find any at their local grocery store.

I have not discovered the secret to picking ripe mango: half the time the ones I think are ripe aren't. So I did the next best thing and bought a jar of sliced mango, guaranteed to be ripe, and a couple of mango smoothies in case the fruit proved too difficult to digest.

While we were passing the floral area, Jed spied a gorgeous bouquet full of bright, vivid colors and we scooped it up to take with us.

When I got to Rita's bedroom I caught sight of a magnificent bouquet on her dresser and commented that it looked like someone had beaten us to the punch. I was surprised to learn the flowers were from her yard and the friend who has been living with her had arranged them so beautifully. I was even more surprised to learn she had planned to give them to me.

What do you say to a friend who is living out her last days on this earth and yet is still thinking of ways she can bless others? I know of no more meaningful, nor sweeter, way to express the love of Jesus Christ.

"Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you." Luke 6:38

2 comments:

Doris Bookman said...

My darling daughter,
You make me laugh, sigh and cry with your blog. Your sensitivity amazes me and your love for others and caring for others is just beyond belief. I love you and hope that you continue to be so caring throughout your life.

Mom

Grace to You said...

Wow, I don't know what to say, Mom. Thanks.

You can be the new president of my fan club. :D