Thursday, February 02, 2012

Project 365/33

















Tracy told me a long time ago that I need to consider homeschooling my job. As in, "No, thank you, I would not like to volunteer for that - I have a job." It's taken me a long time to grasp that concept, but I'm finally beginning to, now that our school days last all day sometimes (albiet, with a long lunch break, to keep both our sanities intact). The cool thing about that is, we're both enjoying it, and we're getting closer to what I always thought homeschooling would be like. Of course, being home more is paramount to that success...it's hard to homeschool when we're not home. I've tried it...carschooling does not work so well for us. :)

Now that we're home more, I've had time (during those long lunch breaks) to tackle some of the household projects I've been putting off. One of them is pictured above - revamping the clock my son Brad made years ago for a school project. A while back I was actually considering finding it a good home because although I loved that my son made it, I never liked the light finish, the gold clock face, the fancy clock hands, the loud ticking of the second hand or the wood knob on the door. Then recently it occurred to me that I could fix all those things, and I got to work.

I stained and polyed the wood, replaced the wood knob with a metal one, used alcohol inks on the clock face to tint it a light green, clipped the fancy things off the clock hands, and clipped the second hand off the metal post that holds the hands onto the clock works. Voila! A new (quiet) clock that my son and I both made. :)

No comments: