Monday, July 19, 2010

Octopi Veggies





Do you know what these are??





I didn't either, until a couple of weeks ago. These curly creatures are garlic scapes, the flower/seed stalks that shoot up from garlic bulbs. If left on the bulbs, they eventually straighten out and bloom, but farmers cut them off so the bulb has more energy to grow.

They can be used like green onions, but the taste is all garlic. Only milder. I've been using them to make pesto with baby bella mushrooms, served over pasta...mmmm.

I'm definitely out of my comfort zone here, but I've been learning all kinds of things since joining a CSA this summer. My farmer pities my ignorance and includes recipes along with the fresh veggies I pick up every week. Last week's surprise was sorrel. Never heard of the stuff before. Now I know it's an herb, and I have a recipe for soup. Dinner, anyone? :)

We broke away from the veggies long enough to go strawberry picking with Mrs Smith, Elijah and Josiah last month.


They were scrumptious! I have some of their sweet splendor tucked away in my freezer, just waiting for a rainy day.

No comments: