Monday, February 01, 2010

One More Project Completed

It's amazing how one thing leads to another.

Brad sent me his wedding pictures on cds after the holidays, and I took my time going through them.

It's still hard for me to realize that young man is grown up.

Anyway, I finally printed out some pictures I wanted to show to a few people. I'm not sure, but I think brag books went out with big hair, and since I cherish the notion of being a hip mother-in-law, I wasn't about to go that route.

However, I couldn't carry the pictures in my purse unprotected, and a Ziploc bag seemed a bit anticlimatic for wedding pictures. I had on hand a 6x6 wire bound book, and all I intended to do was mount the pictures in it, just to carry them in my purse. {Not that my purse would actually accomodate a 6x6 book, but that's beside the point.}

The cover of the album was white...not a bad choice for a wedding album, but with white pages, it seemed a bit blah. So the first thing I did was paint the covers teal (which I made using a mixture of Lumiere's metallic and pearlescent acrylics) and edge the spines in silver. Then I attached two pieces of teal ribbon from the bridal luncheon on both covers, which I thought would be a nice finishing touch.



That's all I intended to do, and it was nice.

But not quite enough.



I found a string of iridescent purple and teal beads, separated by small silver beads (all of which were their wedding colors), and I adhered them on top of the ribbon on the front cover.

Now we were getting somewhere.

Since Brad and Jenn were married under a magnificent tree, the next thing I added was the metal tree embellishment, which has loops on some of the branches, to which I attached charms. The leaf was Tracy's boutonniere, made by Brad with the same fabric as his jacket, and I attached it to the tree with the silver wire Brad used for the pin. I added a few baubles at the end of the beads and the covers were done.

Since this was starting to turn into a scrapbook of sorts, I decided to include their Save the Date postcard, rehearsal dinner invitation, and wedding invitation. The rest of the book is filled with their unadorned photographs, taken by Cheyenne Schultz, which are so gorgeous they need no embellishment.

So that's how a stack of photographs turns into a project. One of my favorite projects, too.

You can see the rest of the book here.

6 comments:

Newton said...

I think that is is amazing!! Seeing your projects on your blog are great, but feeling this book and seeing all of the work you put into it was a real treat for me. This is definitely the best way to keep Brad's wedding pictures and memoir items in a good safe way.
What a hip thing to do! Congratulations my friend!

Monkey Mom said...

It's beautiful. Jenn is gorgeous. I loved looking at the photos of the finished project. You did a really nice job with it. (Of course)!

Debbie said...

Gorgeous album to celebrate a gorgeous wedding! I love the colors & all the special little touches you've added, Sandi. It's awesome!
xo
Debbie
===^..^===

Grace to You said...

Newton - I'm so loving that hanging out with a hip girl is rubbing off on me! :D

Monkey Mom - Jenn really is gorgeous. I still can't figure out how Brad landed her! :)

Kitten - THANK YOU!!

Azlina Abdul said...

Hi Sandi! I just saw this post today and went straight to your Flickr account to see more! WOW! I love it! The wedding album is gorgeous...love the color a lot...the wedding itself was so beautiful....Jenn is gorgeous and your son is handsome! hehehe! Gorgeous couple! Congratulations dear!!!

Grace to You said...

Azlina - I'm looking forward to some pretty good-looking grandchildren. :D