Monday, August 24, 2020

August 24, 2020

This old metal recipe box was on top of my parents' refrigerator, 
which was part of what I cleaned while we were visiting them earlier this month.
Mom went through the recipes and pulled out a few to keep,
then gave the box and the remaining recipes to me.
I'm so pleased to have it...
I remember my mom going through it often when I was a child.

My mom's handwriting is distinct, 
so the few cards that were written in other people's writing were noticeable.
Mom had no idea who they were from, unless their name was on the card.

I was going through the cards after I got home, getting them organized, when I came across this card.
It looked like my dad's printing, 
but I couldn't imagine when he would have ever written a recipe card.

 I flipped the card over and sure enough, it was my dad's.
He worked in Shop 31 in the Norfolk Naval Shipyard for 34 years
as a numerical control programmer,
the precursor to today's computer programmers.
I remember he loved Mrs. Block's cooking in the shipyard cafeteria,
and I assume he got this recipe from her.
I'm jealous of how he loved Mrs. Block's and my mom's cooking....
it's such a pleasure to cook for someone who really enjoys it!
We used to sit around after dinner when I was a kid
and talk about how good dinner was.  :)

1 comment:

Debbie said...

What a wonderful treasure! I have recipe boxes and books of old family recipes, too. Enjoy looking through them & making your favorites.