Friday, March 02, 2012

Project 365/62





















It took me longer than I expected, but I finally managed to get the sanding completed on the little shelf I started working on a couple of weeks ago.

I haven't used stain in the vast majority of the furniture refinishing I've done. Tung oil deepens and enhances the natural color of wood so beautifully, it's all I ever used as a finish until I ran into a couple of pieces of pine furniture. No amount of tung oil can give pine a rich color, so I tried using stain with it, with some measure of success.

However, I think I might have overdone it a bit with this little shelf. I used a medium stain but I must have been heavier-handed with it than I realized. Trying now to decide if I should just go with it or start the arduous task of sanding again.

No comments: