Saturday, August 27, 2011

Running on Empty

I'm about to keel over from trying to pack as much fun stuff as I can into the last two weeks of summer vacation. We've got one more week to go...I hope I make it. :)

Yesterday I took Jed and Grace to the Union fair, which was quite fun but even more so because it only comes around once a year. ha Then we took a dip in the pond to cool off, and even I joined in on that part...in fact, it was totally my idea that we go. I can't tell you how pleasant it is to float around in a tube for two hours while kids take turns pulling you around just because they want to.

Tonight Jed and I dragged Tracy to the fair for the grand finale - a demolition derby. I think it's my first one, and it was a riot. The best part is they raffled off a chance to be a driver in the last competition, and a teenage boy won. And not only did he win the chance, he won the competition! It was hysterical. I told Tracy next year I'm going to put $5 down for my chance behind the wheel.

On a completely unrelated note, I think I mentioned in an earlier post that we started letterboxing again. One of our recent finds was located in Rockport Marine Park, home of the famous Andre the Seal. Andre was a harbor seal rescued by the Rockport harbormaster in the 1960s, who spent his winters at the New England Aquarium in Boston and his summers (like so many other smart folks) in Maine. The amazing part was that he made his way up the coast every year for 25 years by himself, voluntarily, even though he was kept in a pen in the harbor and taught tricks to entertain the summer visitors. Apparently he enjoyed it, much to the delight of the crowds.

Jed sure wishes there was a seal at the harbor now. The concrete one just isn't the same. :)















No comments: