Friday, April 08, 2011

Nature Studies


It's been another busy week around here, but a good one. Lots of schooling, lots of reading and even a game of tennis!

We've had some fun nature studies of the wildlife coming back to our area, most specifically to the pond beside our house.

Today we saw a new species of duck, one I've never seen before. After some research we learned we have a breeding pair of ring-necked ducks as next-door neighbors. The male is exquisite, and both he and the female have an astoundingly bright white ring around their bills.

I wish I could take credit for this stunning photograph, but alas, I still haven't made it to a photography class yet. The creatures in the pictures I took are almost indiscernible as ducks. This one is borrowed from the website that helped us make our identification - WhatBird.com

No comments: