Monday, October 30, 2017

October 30, 2017

Another dusting of snow last night - our third snow this season!
A really scary thing happened today because of it...
I was heading to a dentist appt in another town, and was driving down a highway at 65 mph.
I had the windshield wipers on because of a light mist that was falling.
All of a sudden - and I mean that, it was sudden - I couldn't see out of the windshield,
except for one tiny vertical slit near the middle.
I fumbled to get the defroster on, but it didn't seem to be working very quickly,
so I used the back of my hand to wipe the fog off the inside of the windshield.
Nothing happened.
There was no fog.
That's when I realized it was ice on the windshield.
It was all I could do to keep from panicking.
I cranked the defroster up all the way and prayed for help.
I was in the left lane with a cement wall beside me, 
and it didn't occur to me to take my eyes off the slit in the windshield long enough 
to look to my right to see if I could move over and pull off on the side of the road.
Eventually the ice started melting, but it was a scary couple of minutes.
Thankfully my dentist has nitrous oxide.  :)

No comments: