Friday, June 02, 2017

June 2, 2017

Jed and I finished up our study of Poland today with a Polish food field trip.
The first stop was Pierogies Factory in Wheat Ridge.
The owner, Cezary Grosfeld, moved to Denver from Poland 10 years ago and uses his Grandma's recipes.  

We bought 6 pierogies, 3 pork and 3 potato and onion, with a caramelized onion topping.  

Pork pierogie.

Potato and onion pierogie.

Yum!

We also bought bogis, but I had forgotten it was made of sauerkraut.  
At least it came with more pierogies!  :)

Jed got a chocolate croissant for dessert.  
He was a lot happier about it than he looks in this picture.  :)

Next we drove to downtown Denver to Rosenberg's Deli - 
the first Jewish deli I've ever been in!

We took this order home and had it for dinner this evening.  
First up was matzoh ball soup.  
I liked the matzoh, but I wish I had bought two balls - 
they priced the soup by the ball and I was being cheap.  :)

I was excited to try their kugel, but I was surprised to see that it was a muffin!  
I was pretty happy to find that it tasted very similar to the one I made, 
but it had apples in it, which really helped the texture. 

We got a potato knish and the last spinach knish!
What's not to love about mashed potatoes and pastry??

I was also excited to try hammantaschen for the first time...
I've been wanting to try making it for years, 
ever since I learned about it while studying the book of Esther, 
which talks about Haman, the man for whom the cookie is named.  
We only bought one cookie, a raspberry, 
and I was sorely tempted to drive back to Denver to pick up a few more.
I see another field trip in our future.  :)

Jed was pretty fascinated with the whole cooked fish.  :)

I am deeply grateful that last spinach knish was still there when we arrived
These were both so good.

Smacznego – Bon appetite!

No comments: