Friday, April 01, 2016

April 1, 2016

Today was a red-letter day for Jed.
He had a haircut appointment right after lunch
and I was in the middle of something I desperately wanted to finish 
so I let him go by himself.
It's only about 3 blocks down the street from us, in the middle of downtown,
but he hasn't gone anywhere like that by himself before.
It's a different world than what we grew up in,
but this is a small, friendly town 
and it seems safe enough.

 Needless to say, Jed was pretty happy with his new-found freedom.  :)

It was a red-letter day for me too!

Jed was on the alert for April's Fools jokes and he didn't fall for the first half-dozen or so, but this evening he was going to a game night at a friend's house and I called him to come downstairs and eat a bite before he left.  It was twilight outside so the house was a little dark and I hadn't turned all the lamps on yet.  He saw this plate of cupcakes on the dining room table while he was still upstairs and he said, and I quote, "Thank you, thank you, thank you,"  at least twice before getting downstairs.  It wasn't until he was peeling the wrapper off one of these little delights that he realized they weren't normal cupcakes.  I wish you could have seen the look on his face when he discovered they were meatloaf cupcakes with mashed potato icing!

Score one for Mom.  :D

No comments: