Tuesday, September 06, 2011

It's Go Time!



We started a new school year today!

I have been looking forward to this day for a while now. I've enjoyed the summer break, but I'm more than ready to get back into a routine and back to business.

We made several homeschool group field trips this summer and I was going to celebrate the beginning of our new school year by posting those pics this week. I'm still going to, but for today I want to share a couple of links with you instead.

A debate started with an article written by Jim Mullen in which he discusses the dreaded socialization issue. I read the article several days ago and found it interesting, in a very low-key sort of way. It's not clear whether he even has children, which might explain the objective tone.



The article I stumbled upon today is the one that has really gotten to me. It is a rebuttal to Mr. Mullen's, and beyond the disagreement I have with his general premise, I found his words to be gut-wrenching.

"As a parent, I think the instruction of my children is better left to others who are qualified. I have found this when providing opportunities for music lessons, skiing and snow boarding instruction and driver training.

These activities are all things which I am proficient at yet lack the proper qualifications to deliver the instruction. In short, I am not passionate about teaching my children how to play guitar, drive or ski. The amount of whining and arguing is not worth the effort."


I can't help but wonder if he would be able to enjoy his children more if he was passionate about being their father.

No comments: