Thursday, September 22, 2011

A Couple of Thoughts

I've been mulling over a couple of things for a while now.

I've been thinking a lot about photography lately, trying to figure out how to create an artist's eye. Is it possible to mingle photography with philosophy? I am fascinated with this dichotomy of composition: that cropping and close-ups can make even the most unspectacular subject arresting, while there is not a wide angle lens built large enough to capture the panorama of views encountered when driving along a pleasant road. I know - I've tried. A photograph, even a series of photographs, cannot duplicate what the eye sees and the mind perceives.

On a more somber note, I've also been thinking about blogs a lot lately. Two things happened this week that have made me just about decide to close down this blog. One occurred while watching ESPN Sports Center (of all things). The commentators were discussing the pros and cons of NFL players tweeting. A couple of things were said that struck a chord: one, that people do not need to be accessible 24/7 and their daily activities do not need to be broadcast to the general public; and two, that social media has brought with it an avalanche of hateful in-your-face posts and comments which are not without effect.

I will add a hearty amen to that.

The other event happened just yesterday, while following a link in a homeschool blog post. I found myself sucked into the angst of a young woman raised in a large Bible-believing homeschooling family who has not only rejected every.single.thing. her parents taught her but also apparently feels compelled to spew forth her vitriolic bitterness for all the world to see. I wish I could read things like that and not be affected, but I can't.

I'm about ready to unplug and drop out.

Aren't you too?

Not everything needs to be said, and there are very few things that need to be said by me. ~Elisabeth Elliot

4 comments:

Jenny said...

I understand how you're feeling and will understand if you decide to shut down your blog. But I'll truly miss it. I love reading and seeing what you're doing and how Jed is growing. Yours is one of only about 5 blogs I read regularly. Take care Sandi.

Azlina Abdul said...

Don't stop blogging dear. I would hate to see you close this blog now. For me, blogging has a lot of pros provided you use it well. And I don't see anything wrong in your blog so far so why close it down? Your posts here has brought a lot of happiness to a lot of people....believe you me :).

Grace to You said...

Thanks for your sweet comments, ladies. I've been continuing to think quite a bit about blogging, and am mulling things over still. So far I haven't missed posting...but I'm not ready to pull the plug yet. :)

Monkey Mom said...

I miss you and still read your blog. DON'T QUIT! You are a kind thoughtful soul who spreads joy to others in many ways. It is unfortunate that others feel the need to spit out such hatred. Just because they write it doesn't mean I have to read it. There is a LOT of stuff on the internet that I choose not to devote my time to.

On that note when can we talk again?
Love you!