Tuesday, March 02, 2021

March 2, 2021

We had a very low-key birthday dinner celebration for a single friend from our church last night.
I asked him what his favorite meal is and he said Italian, 
which is not my forte, 
so I was hoping an Italian tablecloth would make up for any lack in the meal.  :)
Speaking of lack, the cake was pretty interesting....
I made an Italian cream cake, a recipe from an Italian friend in Maine.  
It's quite simple...
just a pound cake baked in a loaf pan, 
split in two or three layers and filled with sweetened ricotta cheese and jam
(I used lemon pudding instead).
Frosted with Cool Whip and garnished with chocolate shavings and toasted sliced almonds.
I don't care for Cool Whip, so I used Redi-Whip instead, 
which not only tastes better but looks beautiful coming out of the fluted tip.
I frosted the cake just before dinner and placed it in the fridge.
You cannot possibly imagine my horror when I went to take it out of the fridge
and all the cream had melted off the cake and made a huge puddle
in the (thankfully rimmed!) serving dish.
I was so discombobulated I didn't think to take a photo, which I deeply regret now.  :)  
At least it tasted good.  :D
 

No comments: