Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Homegrown Art



I wish I could say I've been incredibly busy working on some fabulous project and haven't been able to spare a moment to write.

I have been busy, but none of it has been particularly fabulous.

Except - I did make this little piece of art yesterday.

I helped host a wedding shower last weekend, and while shopping for that I found a framed piece of contemporary art at TJ Maxx on clearance for next to nothing. I brought it home with the fireplace niche in mind. The size worked well, but not the art so much, so I got out my stash of handmade (but not by me) paper and started playing around.




I lined the background with a piece of ivory paper that has pine needles enmeshed in it. For two of the squares, I used brown and dark green papers with a bleached fern pattern. The light green paper has a dark green abstract pattern printed on it, and the orange paper has bits of wood fiber embedded in it.




I love these papers, but my favorite part is the little robin, the creation of Etsy shop Mirthquake. This post card features the English Robin design. It was the perfect size - no trimming necessary. As if the little girl wanted to be perched on my mantel before she even arrived.

I think I'm ready for Spring.

4 comments:

Jenny said...

I like your altered artwork very much! And I also like that nifty little nook in your fireplace mantle.

Grace to You said...

Thanks, Jenny! I love everything about this fireplace...when the house was being remodeled, they took the original chimney apart and rebuilt it in this freestanding, beehive shape. There's a fireplace on the other side as well, and on the two sides that don't have fireplaces, there are "holes" cut out to hold wood, plus those two sides have two tiers of mantle. What luxury! I'm trying to enjoy it while I can. :)

Myrte said...

Wow I was just checking out your blog. I saw the close-up of your art piece already, but I love it in the room too! Thanks so much. The robin couldn't've been in a better place!

Grace to You said...

Thanks for stopping by, and thanks for your kind comments!