Saturday, February 18, 2012

Project 365/49





















When I was in my twenties I inherited quite a bit of furniture from several different family members. I'll never forget my first attempt at refinishing and how amazed and thrilled I was to find beautiful wood hiding beneath an ugly, blackened finish. I was hooked.

I've probably refinished 25-30 pieces of furniture altogether, most of it using a chemical stripper. I shudder to think how careless I was with that toxic brew, especially when I first started, and I am now a die-hard sandpaper user.

I took the opportunity this week while Jed was sick to work on a little shelf I've been meaning to strip for years, and it went much better than I expected. I had to make a hardware store run today for more paper, but I think it'll be ready for the first of many coats of tung oil by the end of the weekend.

No comments: