Monday, May 16, 2011

Woo-Hoo!


The long-awaited return of my postal letterbox reignited my long-latent passion for letterboxing.

We just broke a 3 year hiatus!

There weren't many letterboxes planted in the area of Maine we first moved to, and of the few that were there, we didn't have much luck actually finding them. We also didn't have much luck connecting with other letterboxers in the area, and as I discourage easily, that was pretty much the end of that.

Until now.

When I thought about giving it another try, it dawned on me that there might be quite a few more letterboxes in the area we're living in now, because of its proximity to the coast and tourists. Sure enough, I was right. :)

Our first adventure so far has been practically right in our own neighborhood, and the stats are good: 2 for 2, and we picked up 2 hitchhikers as well. The best part, though, has nothing to do with the boxes...it's Jed's logbook that I'm really excited about.

Jed's Aunt Melody and her girls made him a logbook for Christmas in 2008. Unfortunately, that was the year we had given up, so the book has sat unused for three years. Jed actually remembered it, though, when we told him we were heading out recently, and he had a good time stamping in it for the first time.

The exciting thing is that he had a good time writing in it...mostly because it's the first time he's had a good time writing anything. I've been struggling with that in our school time, trying to find subjects that would interest him enough to write a little about.

I think we found his passion too. :)

No comments: